CHLA Hosts the Inaugural Digital Health Lab Demo Day
The Children’s Hospital Los Angeles Innovation Studio hosted its inaugural Digital Health Lab Demo Day on October 14. Eleven teams pitched their solutions to an audience of over 150 providers, clinical staff and CHLA employees and provided demos of their solutions on the HBO café patio. These teams had been working with CHLA clinicians and external technology and business development mentors for six months to further develop their prototypes and business models.
Check out a Demo Day highlight clip here: https://youtu.be/2biWSHiH8J4
An external panel of judges from the health care innovation and technology ecosystem throughout Southern California was invited to participate and provide feedback on the pitches and demos. The teams were evaluated on desirability, feasibility and scalability. Ultimately five teams were selected as winners to move forward with developing their solutions and piloting them at CHLA:
- CHLA Companion: A pre- and post-surgery mobile application for parents, teens and children that prepares families for surgery and engages patients in post-surgery games to decrease their length of stay in the Post-Acute Care Unit and to improve recovery and outcomes.
- Manatee: A behavioral health management platform that connects therapists, patients and parents to create open communication and gamified incentives that actively engage patients in their therapy. Patients earn “points” for completing therapy exercises designed by therapists and can trade in points for “rewards” designed by their parents, such as hosting a slumber party or ordering pizza for dinner.
- Mila: A music therapy game for children with learning disabilities that leverages the power of music, gaming and dance to engage children in therapy that improves their cognition, brain development and skills development.
- Playing Forward: A virtual reality dance game for patients participating in physical and occupational therapy that incorporates therapists’ prescribed movements into dancing games and allows therapists to track compliance and gather quantitative data on patients’ improvements.
- Pulse XR: A virtual reality-enabled surgical planning tool for cardiologists and cardiothoracic surgeons that allows physicians to visualize personalized patient MRI data in a virtual reality environment to prepare for surgery through exploring the heart, cutting and rotating the heart, and leaving notes for other providers.
CHLA looks forward to continuing our work with these teams as they develop their products and companies. Please stay tuned for updates!